Sustainable Ag apprenticeships available
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) near Goldsboro is now accepting applicants for six- to nine-month apprenticeship programs in a variety of sustainable agriculture topics. The application deadline is January 15.
This is a hands-on work and study program that trains highly motivated participants in many aspects of sustainable agricultural production and research. The majority of each apprentices’ work will focus on a particular production system at CEFS. A wide array of topics to study are available, including: organic grain and vegetable production; small farm production; agroecological production techniques; long-term comparative farming systems; beef, dairy and swine production, and agroforestry. Apprenticeship appointments six- to-nine months long, and may be located in Greensboro, Goldsboro and/or Raleigh.
Other aspects of the program that apprentices can expect include:
• Immerse oneself in agricultural production and field research, spending up to forty hours a week as an integral part of a team;
• Work with a highly diverse team of educators from North Carolina State University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
• Interact with otherapprentices at various research units and sites;
• Weekly lecture(s) on various topics of sustainable agriculture;
• Participate in field trips to local farms;
• Prepare a written research paper, suitable for publication;
• Give an oral presentation on your research at the conclusion of the program;
• A weekly stipend of $200 per week.
Applicants are required to apply through the North Carolina State University Jobs Website Required information includes: A completed online application; a cover letter stating your interest in the CEFS apprenticeship program that includes a ranking of your interest in the different research programs offered, and a letter of recommendation.
Interested applicants may contact Lisa Forehand, internship coordinator, for more information at 919-513-0954 or email@example.com.