Refresher course for farmers-market managers and risk management for farmers
The Guilford County Cooperative Extension Center will host the N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services’ (NCDA&CS) annual one-day workshop for farmers market managers on Friday, Feb. 20. The workshop will begin at 9 a.m. and wind up at 3 p.m. The registration fee is $20, and the registration deadline is Wednesday, Feb. 11. Among the major topics on the program this year are grant opportunities and fund raising, and liability laws with implications for farmers and farmers markets.
NCDA&CS also has a two-hour workshop for farmers that introduces futures and option trading, crop yield and crop revenue insurance, energy derivatives and other strategies for spreading out the financial risks of farm enterprises that is being offered at several dates and locations across the state. All workshops will run from 10 a.m. to noon. The final five offerings will be:
• Jan. 26 at the Pitt County Extension Center in Greenville
• Jan. 28 at the Pasquotank County Extension Center in Elizabeth City
• Feb. 17 at the Northampton Cooperative Extension Center in Jackson
• March 12 at the Union County Extension Center in Monroe
• March 13 at the Carolina Farm Credit Administrative Office in Statesville